This blog seeks to capture the essence of Persian culture through passages of song lyrics, poetry, jokes,
anecdotes, and random tidbits. Please feel free to leave comments about how any item does or does not
meet the measure of what "Persian" means in your life. Click here for additional description.

SWF Seeks A Night with the Sea

You might not expect to hear a woman describing her desires in a Persian song. Yet, that seems to be precisely what you hear in the song described below, though the language is admittedly subtle. And unmistakably Persian in the true sense of the word. No mention of a woman desiring a man. Rather, we hear urging the Sea to introduce water to the soil.

Sea, call on to me
Introduce water to the soil again
Sea, my heart is all bound up
Free me from this bondage
Sea, talk to me.
...
Sea, answer me.


From: Mahasti's "Sea" (Darya)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ama behet begam, you are doing an excellent job trying to define each song to it's true meaning. I commend you for that.