This blog seeks to capture the essence of Persian culture through passages of song lyrics, poetry, jokes,
anecdotes, and random tidbits. Please feel free to leave comments about how any item does or does not
meet the measure of what "Persian" means in your life. Click here for additional description.

Alphabet of Love

This woman is describing her high opinion of her beloved as she ponders what sort of a gift to give him:

What should I throw at your feet
that would be worthy of your feet?
What shall I sing that could
Take the place of your words?

You might think with such lofty opinions of her beloved, the task of finding the appropriate gift would be impossible. Not to worry. She has it all covered.

My gift to you
Is a basket of affection
In return from you,
A smile would be plenty.

The guy seems to be hardly worth all this, yet, she seems to be more than willing to give:

The spread of my love is always open to you
Your love is the solution to all my problem,
I like to sacrifice all that I have for you
But your heart has no need for affection.

And why is she willing to give him so much?

I owe the warmth of my heart to your hands.
If you want my life, that would be fine with me.
I learned the alphabet of love from you
Whatever I have I owe to you.

The song demonstrates the element of sacrifice that so many of us have heard from our parents and grandparents: ghorboonet beram, fadat besham, etc. But, you can almost understand why she would be willing to sacrifice her life for him. He gave her something more valuable--the meaning of love.

From Googoosh's "Gift" (Peeshkesh)

No comments: