This blog seeks to capture the essence of Persian culture through passages of song lyrics, poetry, jokes,
anecdotes, and random tidbits. Please feel free to leave comments about how any item does or does not
meet the measure of what "Persian" means in your life. Click here for additional description.

I Would Like to Get Drunk---On Love

Even getting drunk can seem romantic in a Persian song. You get the feeling that being 'drunk' in the sense used in Persian songs and poetry is entirely different than our common image of being passed out by some alley.

I want to get drunk tonight
Be totally in love.
Without you, I was nothing,
Tonight, I want to exist.

I have an unworthy life
Let it be sacrificed for you
Be thrown at your steps
Let it be the soil under you feet

And, as I mentioned earlier, a thorough understanding of Sufism (which I readily admit that I lack) may be required to fully appreciate such poetry (esp. its references to being drunk), but note again, the concept of sacrificing one's life for their beloved.

From Moein's "Drunk" (Mast)

No comments: